Friday, August 29, 2008

McCain's VP choice is a gimmick

Wow! So in the span of about 2 hours I went from sitting on my couch having a glass of water and posting an iReport video, to having it shown on CNN, having it posted to the CNN homepage, and later this afternoon I will be doing a live call-in on CNN International. (7p Eastern, 5p Mountain should you get that channel.) In 4 hours since I've posted the video, it's had over 80,000 views.

Thanks to everyone who is stopping by as a link from my CNN iReporter profile.

I just wanted to take a minute to better flesh out what I'm saying about Sarah Palin as McCain's VP choice.

She absolutely deserves congratulations, there is ZERO doubt about that. It is, hands down, an historic choice.

Many comments on my video have started with the inexperience arguments. I don't want to make that one quite yet, even though I briefly mentioned in my video. The larger point is that the only way to view this pick is as a political gimmick. When Hillary Clinton was not chosen as the Vice President, Republican strategists clearly picked that as an opportunity to steal disgruntled voters. McCain is just trying to bait voters into voting for his ticket because he has a woman on it. This has zero other motivation than she's a woman.

This is clearly a political gimmick. It's as simple as that. If she were a man with these qualifications, she never would have been chosen. That alone shows that all McCain is doing is playing a political game. He thinks American's are dumb, and that those who wanted to see a woman in the White House wanted it simply because she was a woman, and that's not the case. Clinton Supporters were such because they supported her as a strong woman, AND her policies. Sarah Palin could not be farther from Hillary Clinton as a politician.

It makes me sad. John McCain thinks that America is stupid and will fall for this. He doesn't care about making our country better, he just cares about getting votes so he can get to the White House. He said it himself in his own books, he has the ambition to be President and that's why he's running. It's unfortunate, we need better than political gimmicks and a candidate who only wants to play games at such a trying time as this for our country.

1 comment:

Buddha said...

Completely agree. I'm not sure if you saw the Noonan/Murphy chat that was caught "off camera", but it's a very revealing look at how the GOP has somehow managed to shock fellow believers. Bottomline... it was a gimmick and let's hope the American public sees it as such, though I'm not sure they will. We tend to see what we want. Check YouTube or CNN for the story.