Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Unemployment Update

Nearly a month after I was let go, my old boss is finally sending me a check for the $3300 in back pay I'm owed. About fkn time. Give it another week and according to Colorado State Law, I'm entitled to recouping up to 150% of my total unpaid earnings.

Or something like that. I didn't read the form fully.

There are 17+ resumes sent out and only one call back. That job only pays $12 an hour, and they've said they can't budge on that. I told them I'd call them back and let them know after I do some math, if I think it'll be worth either of our time to pursue the opportunity with each other any further.

But here's my question -- why are companies so bad about calling people back? So many places explicitly say no phonecalls, so how am I supposed to follow up? I should skip the middleman and just throw my resumes directly into the trash. Because it honestly seems like people just get resumes, and never do anything with them. I'm skilled, I have a bunch of experience -- both specialized and diverse, so I know that I'm a desirable employee to at least SOME outlets...yet I never hear jack shit.

So hear I am during the fourth week of unemployment questioning my skills, my worth, and whether or not I'll run out of money before I find a job that's right for me.

Feces occurs, I suppose.

1 comment:

skomalley said...

Yes, unemployment sucks. It's one of my favorite past-times. Good luck with it.