Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Mom can be so cute

It's funny how some parents can easily get disconnected from advances in technology. The most troubling digital divide (I like to incorrectly think) is not necessarily a have and a have not between rich and poor, but an understanding and a complete lack thereof between the young and old.

My dad understands email, my dad understands sharing pictures, but the ideas behind web2.0 and social networking techniques and motivations (that surround things like del.icio.us, digg, blogs, flock, writewith, reddit, technorati and all sorts of other social networking platforms) he doesn't quite get. To him, I'm pretty sure it's all just some sort of creepy avenue to cybersex.

But I consider his advances a success.

Mom on the other hand....

Mom hasn't used a computer in ages. It's not wholly her fault, there are some extenuating circumstances that preclude her headlong exploration of computers and the 'net. But one thing I'd think she'd be able to grasp would be voicemail. She gets the concept of email -- for a while she used the local public library to say hi and tell me what the cats did that day. And the day before. And the day before that. And what she thought they might do the following day.

But she doesn't get voicemail.

I have an iPhone. Trying to explain to her what it can do, was a formidable and ultimately futile challenge. I tried to explain visual voicemail, and what that means. All she understands is that one can leave a message. Unfortunately in her technologically immature mind, she sees voicemail on a cell phone as pretty much the same as an answering machine.

This means that every voicemail I get from mom goes just like this: "Hello....Hi. Hello? You there? It's me...your mom. Anyway...."

Anyone who has a cell phone understands that you can't even pick up the phone once the call goes to voicemail, let alone being able to hear the message as it's being left.

But alas, such are the consequences of the parental digital divide.

Oh mom. I still love ya.

No comments: